Barn Cat Program
Cat Ranch Rescue sometimes is contacted about cats who cannot live as house pets.
If you are interested in this program please go to the Contact Us page and send us a quick email.
Cats in their barn cat program fall into three categories:
- Cats whose litterbox habits make them unsuitable for house pets
- Cats who are just too independent to appreciate being cooped up in cages in the shelter
- Cats who are shy/fearful of people, and prefer the company of other cats and animals
The barn cat program reaches out to those with a working barn or safe, heated outbuilding. Having a barn cat or cats will help keep down the rodent population. The cats will be helping the property owner, while the property owner provides the cats with a safe place to live. And, because these cats are already spayed/neutered, the property owner won't have to worry about endless litters of kittens appearing!
What Cat Ranch Rescue provides
All cats available for adoption to barns are spayed/neutered and vaccinated. When a barn cat(s) is adopted, CRR staff will go over how to acclimate the new cat(s) to the barn and make them feel at home.
The $30 adoption fee for barn cats helps Cat Ranch Rescue cover some of their medical costs. Since many of these cats thrive on the company of other cats, Cat Ranch Rescue offers a $10 discount off the total when adopting more than one barn cat at one time.
What You’ll Need
A farm or barn owner who will adopt the cats and agree to give them:
- Shelter in barns, buildings, or stables
- Daily food and water - cats cannot live on mousing alone
- Long-term veterinary care, as needed (they're neutered and vaccinated at adoption)
- A secure place to keep them for the first 2-3 weeks, while they acclimate to the barn. This can be a tack room, or any secure indoor enclosure that they cannot escape from.
Please contact us if you are willing to participate in this program.